Monday 10 February 2014

Homemade tortillas






Whenever I have some vegetable leftovers, I love to fry them with some spices and eat them in a tortilla. Tortillas aren't exactly expensive (I usually buy them with a discount), but sometimes it's like I'm eating a piece of cardboard. They don't really taste of that much and they're not really as filling as you could've hoped they were. So I tried making them myself and they got waaaaay better than the store-bought. It takes some practice to get them really good, but once you've learned the technique, it's a piece of cake.

I usually roll out the dough and cut it in circles that fit into my pan - that way I avoid ending up with something, that has a star-like shape. I think they would be great for tapas too, with some nice homemade pesto or hummus!

I prefer to use plain flour, but you can easily use whole wheat or what else you like. When I made these, I only had whole wheat flour and it turned out great!

~8 tortillas
What do I need?
3 cups flour 
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp salt
1 cup hot water


How do I do?
Mix all the ingredients until it forms a ball - you might need to use your hands to remove the clumps. Cover with plastic wrap and let it rest for 30 minutes.
Cut it into 8 smaller pieces and form balls out of it. Roll out the balls to a size, that fits into your pan. I like it when the dough is to thin, that you can almost look through it.
Heat up a pan, but don't make it too hot - my experience tells me, that the tortillas get really stiff if the pan is too hot. Once it's well heated, the rolled out tortilla on it - don't use any oil! The tortilla will probably start to get bubbles (or what to call them), but those will disappear once they cool down. They burn easy, so keep an eye on them! They don't need more than 30 seconds on each side. Enjoy with your favorite tortilla stuffing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!