Sunday 16 February 2014

Banana bread - and a special anniversary!



Today is a really special day. I never thought it would come and yet I've been looking SO MUCH forward to it! Today is my FIRST ANNIVERSARY as a vegetarian! I can't believe it's been a year and I am so, so proud of myself. Pretty much 95% of the people I know neither understand nor acknowledge my decision and that makes it pretty tough some times. It hasn't been more than 2 days since I had my last "breakdown" because someone was mocking me right in front of me. It's really hard when people attack you on your beliefs. Thank god I have the most amazing friend, who's alway there when I need her - even though we've got two very different reasons to be vegetarian.

A year and a half ago, I actually laughed at two of my friends because they became vegetarians. I said that I would never be able to live without meat. And here I am today: haven't eaten meat for a year and don't have any plans on eating some for the next many, many years. It's funny how you all of a sudden can change your beliefs and lifestyle.

This banana bread was a bit of a spontaneous project I started last summer. I had some old bananas that I didn't really felt like eating (I prefer them a bit green). I had wanted to make a banana bread for a long time and I guess this was the perfect time to give it a try. It turned out so gooooood and it was perfect for a hot summer day, since there isn't an awful lot of sugar in it.

1 large banana bread
What do I need?
300 g flour
2 tsp baking powder
50 g sugar
A pinch of salt
2 eggs
50 g margarine
3 really tender bananas, mashed
A large handful of walnuts, chopped
If you'd like: a handfuls of chopped, dark chocolate


How do I do?
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius/350 degrees fahrenheit.
Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Melt the margarine and beat the eggs until they're light and airy. Mix the wet ingredients with the dry and add the walnuts (and chocolate, if you want chocolate in it). Pour the dough into a buttered tin and throw it in the oven for about 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!