Monday 23 December 2013

Salad with quinoa and fresh spinach




Those quinoas... I'd heard a lot about them, but couldn't really figure out if they really WERE that much better than rice, couscous and other kinds of grains. Turns out, they ARE! Considering the fact that it's basically a cereal, the protein content is quite high. Not as high as in beans and lentils, but still higher than potatoes and all other kind of grains and cereals - except from oats and wild rice. As if that wasn't enough (I mean, just the fact that it's full of protein is enough for us veggies to love it, right?) it contains a lot of dietary fibre, magnesium, iron, phosphorus and calcium. The latter one should make vegans (including my inner one) really happy.

So basically it's allowed to call quinoa a superfood. If it wasn't that expensive (and I wasn't a poor student) I would be eating a lot more of it. It's so yummy in salads and casseroles and as a substitute for rice. I've actually seen, that you can also get red and black quinoa, but I've never really found out what the (nutritional) difference is. Anyone who can help me?

Serves 4 (as a side dish) or 2 (as a main course)
What do I need?
1 clove of garlic
1 onion
1 cup of quinoa
4 cups of fresh spinach
The zest of 1 lemon


How do I do?
Heat up a spoonful of oiling a pan and fry the chopped garlic and onion until they're shiny. Add the quinoa and let them get all greased in. Add about 1 cup of water and let it simmer for a couple of minutes until the quinoa is tender. Let it cool.
Chop the spinach roughly and add the cool quinoa and the lemon zest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!