Sunday 15 December 2013

Veggie crumble





Hey guys. I am so, so sorry, that I haven't been posting for the last few days. My internship is taking up all my time and energy, and when I've got homework and work to do at the same time, that means that the blog is less important. But don't worry, during the holidays, I'll prepare a lot of posts, ready to publish on days, where I'm a bit busy.

This christmas is my first christmas as a vegetarian and I've been thinking a lot about, what I'm going to eat. I don't want to just eat potatoes and red cabbage - I don't even want to eat the gravy, since it's going to be made out of the fat from the duck. I happened to find a recipe for a veggie crumble and they suggested it as a part of the vegetarian christmas meal. I wanted to try it out, but used some other vegetables, than the recipe suggested. And guys, I am telling you, it turned out to be amazing! This is definitely going to be a part of my christmas! I got a few more things I want to test, to see if they too got the potential to be a part of my future christmas dinner. Now, the challenge will be to convince my family that we should make all these delicious (vegan) dishes. A danish christmas dinner already consists of so many little dishes, so there's always a lot of stress and run in the kitchen. But I just don't want to feel like I'm missing anything, you know?

6-8 persons (as a side dish)
What do I need?
1,2 kg vegetables - I used potatoes, carrots, leeks and parsnips
6 twigs of thyme - or more, if you (like me) are crazy about thyme!
Vegetable broth
1/2 cup white wine
3 tbsp white wine vinegar or apple vinegar
Salt and and fresh ground pepper

35 g pine nuts - or 50 g nuts, like almonds
125 g flour
70 g oats
1/2 olive oil
Leaves from 3-4 twigs of thyme
Twigs of thyme for garnish


How do I do?
Peel the vegetables or clean them well, if you like to keep the skins on it. I always keep the skins, it's just make the vegetables taste better, not to mention that a lot of the good vitamins etc. supposedly lies in the skin. Anyway! Once cleaned and/or peeled, cut them into smaller pieces (about 1,5 x 1,5 x 1,5 inches). Boil them with the broth and twigs of thyme for a few minutes until they're just tender. Separate them from the water (you can save it and use it as a base for the gravy, if you'd like), throw them in a bake sheet and mix them well with the white wine and vinegar. Spice it up with some salt'n'pepper!

Preheat the oven to 200 celcius/400 fahrenheit.
Mix the pine nuts, flour, oats, oil and thyme leaves well until you get a crumbling dough. Spread it over the vegetables and garnish with the rest of the twigs. Throw it in the oven and bake for about 30 minutes.


TIP: I preferred to eat it the same day. It wasn't quite as good the next day, but defo still edible!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!