Wednesday 11 December 2013

Cinnamon almonds





Yum, this little snack is perfect for christmas! The cinnamon taste isn't overwhelming, but it's there. It's there to give you that hint of christmas without making you nauseous. Oh lord, I could eat these all day....
I originally found a recipe on Pinterest, but I didn't have a slow cooker, as the recipe told me to use. So I started thinking.... How could I make this in the oven? I starter out at a relative low temperature and stirred a few times until I thought they were crispy enough. And I'm pretty satisfied with the result! Oh, and get ready for your kitchen to smell A-MA-ZING!


What do I need?
1 egg
2 cups almonds (about 500 grams)
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla (I prefer vanilla powder, but you could use vanilla sugar instead)


How do I do?
Preheat the oven to 125 celcius/250 fahrenheit.
Separate the egg yolk from the whites. You only need the whites for this recipe, so fry, freeze or eat the yolk - whatever you feel like. Please don't throw it away, that would be such a waste!
Beat the egg white lightly with a fork until it gets a little frothy. Stir in the almonds at let 'em get all greased in.

In another bowl, mix the rest of the ingredients well. Sprinkle it over the almonds at make sure they all get coated. Spread them onto a baking sheet - either greased or coated with a piece of baking paper. Make sure the almonds are in one layer. Throw it in the oven for about an hour and make sure to stir every 20 minutes. Be careful that you don't knock too much of the coating off.
After an hour in the oven, take 'em out and allow them to cool. Store them in an airtight container - that is if you don't eat them all right away, like I almost did!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!