Monday 24 March 2014

Danish omelette with potatoes



I'm not sure if omelette is the right word for this one... It's called an "egg-cake" in danish (dunno how else to translate it?) and when people ask how it's different from an omelette, the typical answer would be something like "Well, this is just a more sophisticated version of an omelette". My dad usually add a tablespoon of (corn)flour, but I completely forgot and it turned out pretty good anyway.
I prefer it with potatoes and lots of chives, but some people (like my dad) add a few slices of tomato. And you typically eat it with a slice of danish rye bread (full of whole grain and dietary fibers) with a thin layer of mustard. Non-danes are very skeptical when I tell them about this, but it's really the best way to eat a danish omelette. Yum yum yum!

I burned my hand pretty bad in the making of this omelette... In my defense, I'm no used to pans with a hot handle! Here's what happened: When I took the pan out of the oven, I wanted to let it cool for a few minutes. When I decided that it had cooled enough, I wanted to move it a little to make it look prettier in the picture. Somehow I forgot that it was still hot, so I just grabbed the handle and then I feel the burn. I jumped a few times and then remembered that it might be a good idea to apply cold water. So there I was sitting: one hand in a bowl of water and eating my dinner with the other. Thank god the omelette turned out to be great, otherwise I'd feel like I'd burned my hand for nothing!


Serves 2
What do I need?
200 g potatoes (I prefer them with skin on)
A splash of Oil
4 eggs
1/4 c milk
Lots of fresh chives

Optional:
Tomatoes
Danish rye bread (or some other kind of full grain bread)
Mustarde


How do I do?
Rinse the potatoes, cut them into smaller pieces and boil them in salted water. Allow them to cool completely.

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius/400 fahrenheit.
Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the potatoes until they're getting golden. In the meantime, whisk eggs and milk together and then add it to the potatoes - if you feel like it's a tomato-kind-of-day, add them now. Fry until the top is getting firm - it should take about 10 minutes. Throw the pan in the oven for another 10 minutes. Sprinkle with lots of chives and serve with rye bread with mustard.


TIP: Your pan isn't ovenproof? No worries, just fry the omelette for a few more minutes on the stove.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!