Wednesday 26 March 2014

Rhubarb-raspberry jam



The season for rhubarb is getting close and that means that I'm gonna make a looooot of this jam. It's a perfect mix of sweet and sour and it just tastes of summer. It's great for everything: on a slice of fresh bread, with ice cream or with yoghurt. I think I'll make some for my aunt for her birthday, she loves rhubarb, so I'm sure it'll be a hit!

2 cups
What do I need?
250 g rhubarb, sliced (2 inch slices)
150 g raspberries
1/2 lemon, the zest and juice
40 g sugar
1 tbsp water


How do I do?
Put all the ingredients in a large saucepan (a larger one helps the water evaporate quickly), heat it to the boil and let it simmer for 5 minutes - that should be enough to make the texture thick. If there's any foam on the top of the jam, you should remove it instead of just stirring it back into the jam - it might contain bacteria and mold. Scald a jar with boiling water on the inside and in the lid, to sterilize the glass. You want your jam to be delicious for as long as possible, right? Pour the jam into the scalded jar and close it immediately. Store it in the fridge, but let it cool a little before putting it in there. Once you've opened a jar, you should eat the jam during the next week or two.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!